Thursday, June 2, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: “I Work at a Public Library” By Gina Sheridan

A Cold War spy in desperate search of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Cuckoo Carol dumpster diving for cans...again, and the inevitable fact that one day, somewhere, human excrement will end up on the floor. Maybe you expect these kinds of things to happen on, say, reality TV, but you never expect this to happen in your local library. However, as any public librarian will tell you, happen they do! (Taken from the Introduction of the book)



I am a book nerd who also works in a library – which can be both a blessing and a curse sometimes, thanks mostly to the often colorful characters – er, patrons – that walk through our doors. So when I heard about a book called I Work at a Public Library by Gina Sheridan, there was no question; I had to read this! I checked out a copy from the library (of course) and began to read...and within moments I was laughing my head off – and shaking my head at how relevant these stories were to myself and my coworkers. After all, to anyone who thinks librarians just sit behind a desk all day checking books in and out and telling people to be quiet, well you really must think again!


As a librarian in St. Louis, Missouri, author and blogger Gina Sheridan began keeping a notebook and writing down the the various oddities that she encountered because they were too juicy not to be documented! Running the gamut from completely bizarre reference questions and annoyingly ignorant patrons to precocious kids and an eccentric Dumpster-diving regular nicknamed Cuckoo Carol, this little book is full of treasures that every library worker across the globe can easily relate to! And what's really great is that at an easily digestible 152 pages, you will be able to polish off this little book in less than an hour – of course, once you start reading you won't be able to stop anyway, because each anecdote is even better than the next!
Me: Good morning!
Patron: It's always nice to see your smiling face. You must be on the good drugs.

Learn more about author Gina Sheridan at her website and on her blog, and find your own copy of I Work at a Public Library on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment