Friday, May 1, 2015

Book Review - "Keep It Shut" by Karen Ehman



Everyone knows the old childhood adage “Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.” But guess what? Words can hurt – unless, of course, we make a conscious effort to guard our hearts and minds, the places in which our words actually begin…


My latest review as a BookLook blogger is for the book Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All by Karen Ehman. An author and speaker with Proverbs 31 Ministries, Karen Ehman walks us through what we need to know when it comes to learning to tame our most dangerous body part – the tongue. While it’s true that our words can lift people up, they can also cause their share of trouble too! 

I really enjoyed reading Keep It Shut because Ehman’s writing style doesn’t talk down to the reader, and because she uses personal examples from her own life to show us that we’re definitely not alone when it comes to having issues with our words. For me personally, I’ve been told that I’m a good listener – but I often feel that there are still plenty of times where I catch myself talking too much (and not listening) or saying the wrong thing (and sticking my foot in my mouth)! It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in feeling this way, and that there is hope in learning how to be more careful with my words. Ehman penned Keep It Shut in a friendly and engaging style – almost conversation-like – and backing all of her information up with both key verses in Scripture and examples of her own personal experiences. The book is also nicely separated into 11 easy-to-digest chapters that discuss topics ranging from learning how to communicate with family and friends and learning how to really listen to stopping gossip and controlling your tongue in the digital world.

Sure, taming your tongue isn’t easy but as Karen Ehman shows you in Keep It Shut, learning to reign in your words at their source is something you can learn to do!

You can purchase a copy of Keep It Shut by Karen Ehman on Amazon.

Thanks to BookLook Bloggers for a copy of Keep It Shut in exchange for my honest review.





No comments:

Post a Comment