Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Book Review: "Popular" by Alissa Grosso

I just found out that I was not the only writer to have finished reading the YA novel Popular by Alissa Grosso - turns out that my friend Cynthia Chapman Willis did, too, and she blogged about it today as well. But then again, as the saying goes, "Great minds think alike," right?

So, about Popular. There's so much I want to say about it, because I thought it was a terrific book! Alissa Grosso's writing style was absolutely fantastic! Her characters were so tangibly real that I actually had a death wish against one of them not even halfway through the novel. She was so snotty - trust me, you'll understand why I hated Shelly so much after you read the book!

The main character is 17-year-old Hamilton Best, the MOST popular girl in all of Fidelity High. She's beautiful, and she is known for throwing the coolest parties. If your name makes it onto one of Hamilton's guest lists, you've hit the big time for sure! Hamilton is also at the helm of The Clique, which includes Olivia, Zelda, Nordica, and Shelly. It's senior year, and everyone is looking toward the future - The Clique, especially, is looking toward a future without Hamilton. But Hamilton is scared of the future, because she has a secret - one that only her boyfriend Alex knows. And so far, that secret has been kept safe. But if it ever got out, it would destroy Hamilton's world in ways unimaginable.

I won't divulge anything further about Popular because if I do, it will spoil the whole plot! Let's just say that there is a plot twist in this story that you will not believe! Popular was a definite page-turner even before the plot twist for me, so I know that you will thoroughly enjoy this novel!

Check out Alissa's website here for more about her terrific debut novel, Popular!

3 comments:

  1. Both you and Cynthia have made me want to read Popular. Sounds like the writer did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did, J.L.! I'm glad Cynthia and I were so convincing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of your kind words!

    ReplyDelete